Tuesday, April 16, 2013

An Open Door...

More than I would like to admit the phrase “God opened the door” comes out of my mouth. That phrase itself is not bad. In fact, it is good. It is acknowledging that God is at work rather than me. More of Him and less of me is a great thing!



In the last few weeks something strange has happened. Countless conversations have turned to the topic of “God opening doors.” The odd part is how a few friends and I started to see that there seems to be a hidden expectation with the meaning of this phrase. As we were talking, we all kind of had a moment of “Huh? Wonder why that is.”  For me, that moment has continued for over a week now. For some reason I cannot stop thinking about how an open door does not mean walking through will be smooth or painless.



Some how the idea that when God opens a door in our lives, whatever is on the other side will be easier than where we are now. Not sure how or why, but many, including myself hold on to hope of this unrealistic expectation. Yes, God is good and desires the best for us! 
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
 John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Psalm 52:8  But I am like an olive tree
    flourishing in the house of God;
I trust in God’s unfailing love
    for ever and ever.
God is not anything if not loving.  But I think we have forgotten one key aspect. We have forgotten about someone that seeks to have power and influence over us. We have forgotten about the enemy.

Now, please, understand I do not want to give credit to the devil. But, face it, he is good at what he does! We have forgotten he is free and roaming this earth.  I believe  that has led us to think an open door means golden roads ahead.

Personally, I can look back at my life and see where I assumed there was going to be golden roads ahead when God opened a door in my life. And more over, I can tell you how many times I have been sorely mistaken. The lack of golden or easy roads on the other side of the door has never meant God did not open the door, but it hasn’t been a cakewalk! The thing I have been learning is God opens the doors in our lives and when we have the faith and trust to walk through them, the enemy panics.  Through the Lord’s strength, the fears of walking through the door did not hold us back, so his first strategy failed. So he goes on the attack!

The enemy understands that because we were obedient to the Lord, mountains are about to move. Lives are going to be changed and he will do what he can, even when he knows he will fail, to de-rail us. He makes the steps we take after crossing the threshold feel like we are under fire. Here we thought it was going to be a bed of roses because the Lord opened the door for us. Hate to spoil the ending for ya but, GOD WINS
 1 Samuel 17:47  All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.”
The Lord wins every time. So when we are hitting the deck to avoid the attacks of the enemy we need to remember who has ALREADY won the war.  We need to stand strong and fight back with God’s word and TRUTH. We have nothing to fear. The Lord of angel armies is on our side.
Exodus 15:6  Your right hand, Lord,
    was majestic in power.
Your right hand, Lord,
    shattered the enemy.
Now I do realize it is much easier said than done. Our human nature tells us to duck or run away. So now my prayer is for us to be strong and realistic when God opens a door.  Praying for the Holy Spirit to instill peace and passion into us so we do not hit the deck but stand strong. Stand strong knowing God has already one the war!

No comments: